Visiting Scholar/Fellow


International J-1 visa Visiting Scholar Program

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program was developed by the Department of State (DOS) in 1961 “to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges.” J-1 scholars are non-immigrants pursuing a specific program objective at academic institutions in the U.S., as designated by the DOS and the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS).

A 120-day advance notice is required to visit the Ohio State University.

You may not visit the Ohio State University without obtaining your J-1 visa.

Please contact Khalid Jama 120 days before your arrival date at OSU.

Proof of Financial Support 

Sufficient funding for the length of the stay is required by the U.S. Department of State, which is in charge of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Minimum annual funding to cover living expenses and health insurance at Ohio State:

Annual Living Expenses: This is the amount of funding you must show in financial documents both to OSU as well as to the U.S. consular office when applying for the visa.







J-2 Spouse:



J-2 Child (under 21):




To be able to produce the DS-2019, our office must receive from you proof of financial support, which can be one or a combination of the following:

  1. personal bank statement that must show the following information:
    1. bank
    2. date
    3. name on the account
    4. amount of money in the account(s)
  2. letter from the employer showing:
    1. you will continue to be paid your salary
    2. amount of funding
    3. dates of funding
  3. scholarship, award, etc. letter (in English) showing the following information:
    1. name of the sponsor
    2. your name
    3. amount of funding
    4. dates of funding
  4. if parents or relatives will be supporting you:
    1. signed letter from that person stating that they will be supporting you during your stay
    2. bank statement (as above) showing they have the necessary amount of money to support you

Any documentation provided to verify financial support must be issued within the last 6 months. If you are receiving financial support from your home institution or government, you will need to provide a letter from them and it must include the following: your name, exact amount you will be funded, duration you are being funded, exact duration of your time in the US. If you are supporting yourself through personal funds, you must provide a copy of your most recent bank statement and it must include the following: formal statement with name of bank, your name, and the exact balance of the account. If you are being supported by a family member, you will need to provide a copy of their most recent bank statement and a supporting letter from them confirming they agree to financially support your J-1 program for a specific amount of funding and for specific dates. Both the bank statement and letter should meet the requirements listed above as well.

English Verification for J-1 visa Scholars

A documented interview conducted by the faculty member with visiting scholar either in-person or by videoconferencing or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option.

  1. Complete the English Verification for J-1 Scholars Form.


The OSU Department of Classics will pay a processing fee of $425 to the OSU Office of International Affairs. 

Housing Accommodations:

Ohio State does not assist with locating accommodations, but OIA’s website provides some recommendations:

More information about the J-1 Visa Program with OSU can be found at this link:

Additional Information for previous J-1 Visiting Scholars.

Research Scholar: is the most common category of Exchange Visitor at OSU. Research Scholars are individuals concerned primarily with conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project (even if such individuals are professors at their home institutions). Research Scholars are allowed to teach or lecture. A DS-2019 can be issued for a Research Scholar for any length from 3 weeks up to 5 years.

Foreign nationals who have been in any category of J-1 visa (except Short-Term Scholar) in the previous 24 months are NOT allowed to begin a new Research Scholar visit. This rule is known as the “24-month Bar.”

Short-Term Scholar: Short-Term Scholars may be a Professor, Researcher, Specialist, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the U.S. on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills. A DS-2019 can be issued for a Short-Term Scholar for any length from 1 day up to a maximum of 6 months.

The Short-Term Scholar category is very flexible and can be used to accommodate many types of short visits, and is NOT subject to the “24-month Bar”. Therefore, it is recommended that Short-Term Scholar category be used for visits of less than 6 months, and it is advised that a Research Scholar category be used if there is a possibility that the J-1 scholar’s visit could be extended beyond 6 months.