Latin 802: Latin Prose Composition
Class will meet twice a week
Tuesdays, 1:30 - 2:30
Friday Meetings: Compositions will be assigned, due by the following Friday morning. Sight and seen readings from Cicero and discussion of secondary literature.
Tuesday Meeting: Discussion of the English assigment and the Latin compositions.
- Summarize and discuss one item from secondary literature.
- Weekly compositions.
- Final Composition due in middle of Exam Week.
- Five to ten page stylistic analysis of a selected passage from Cicero (Div. in Caec., unless another passage is approved).
- Learn to read Latin more carefully, especially with attention to how word order and emphasis shape both the sentence and its meaning.
- Gain some ability to imitate a Ciceronian style.
- Understand Ciceronian style in both diachronic and synchronic terms.
Cicero, Divinatio in Q. Caecilium
Collection of articles on style to be provided by instructor and created during the quarter.
Compositions = 60%, derived either from overall performance or from general improvement or from the final composition.
Class participation = 15%, including understanding of the secondary literature, participation in discussion and use of the Disscussion Group
Final analytic paper = 25%